Gold: $2388.95  |  Silver: $28.34
  Sunday, 31 December 2017
  5 Replies
  4.7K Visits
  Subscribe
Hi, I am new to this coin website and I'm excited to have some people I can talk to and ask questions. Thank you in advance for your time. Okay, I have a 1943 steel wheat penny with a very weak almost omitted 3 in the date. Is this normal and does it happen often? Also would this coin have any value? If so how much? This is the coin that peaked my interest in coin collecting. Now I can't get enough change to go through.. Lol. Anyway, thank you
Anita
Go Tigers - #ClemsonAlum95
[attachment]1208171902.jpg[/attachment]
Hello, Anita!

It's great to have you on the site. As an aside it was a 1941 wheat cent that I found 25 years ago that also got me into coin collecting, so I totally relate to the novelty of finding those old wheat pennies. Especially when it has an oddity such as yours. A photo of your coin would be very helpful, if you don't mind, so I can further determine what's happening with your coin. But, without seeing it, I lean toward it being struck on either a worn die or grease-filled die (grease gets into the pockets that would have formed the "3."

There actually are collectors who will pay a small premium for such a coin -- perhaps a dollar or two. I suggest you keep your eyes out for more unusual coins like that, because some of them are scarce and valuable.

Happy New Year, and Happy Collecting!
-Josh @ CoinValues
6 years ago
·
I have tried listing a pic but I guess it is too big to post . I am trying again with this reply. Thanks for the info.
Anita[attachment]1208171902.jpg[/attachment]
6 years ago
·
I have tried listing a pic but I guess it is too big to post . I am trying again with this reply. Thanks for the info.
Anita[attachment]1208171902.jpg[/attachment]
6 years ago
·
[attachment]1208171901a_HDR~2.jpg[/attachment][attachment]1208171901a_HDR~2.jpg[/attachment][attachment]1208171901a_HDR~2.jpg[/attachment]
You're welcome, Anita! As for the photo, it should work it is a JPEG or PNG file under 2MB.
There are no replies made for this post yet.