Gold: $2234.36  |  Silver: $24.97
  Saturday, 13 August 2016
  3 Replies
  5.2K Visits
  Subscribe
Dear all,

From my mother I received a ring with an American coin in it. The coin dates 1914 but the back of the coin is not the same as the ones shown on this site. So I wonder why this one is different, especially because my family is from the Netherlands and I am curious how it got into our family.

Looking forward to receive some information!
Attachments (2)
Hello, Elize --

What an interesting piece you have. The obverse appears to be an Indian Head $2.50 quarter eagle, but the reverse, or back, contains the United States Presidential Seal. I don't know if the back of the coin was altered with that design or if the Presidential Seal image is part of the setting itself. What I can tell you for sure is that an unaltered 1914 Indian Head $2.50 quarter eagle gold coin is worth roughly $250 to $300 USD, though the piece of jewelry may be priceless to you and your family.

While I have no idea how this beautiful piece wound up in your family, it's quite possible it entered by way of somebody who had an allure for the 20th-century notion of the so-called "American Dream." Perhaps those hopes and wishes of future prosperity associated with the United States were just one reason that piece of jewelry may have held significance to the person in your family who originally owned it.

All the best,
Josh
7 years ago
·
Dear Josh,

Thank you very much for this elaborate and quick response! Many interesting facts that give the ring even more value to me :). I'm surprised that this little coin unaltered has such a high value.

Great that I could find information about it via your website and with help of your expertise.

Best regards,
Elize
Hello, Elize!

It's my pleasure to help! Thank you for your kind comments. I hope you enjoy this treasure and that it brings you much financial and sentimental value.

All my best,
Josh
There are no replies made for this post yet.