Gold: $2389.99  |  Silver: $28.68
  Monday, 22 August 2016
  5 Replies
  4K Visits
  Subscribe
Please can someone help a few weeks ago came across several morgan dollars at my mums old house anyway this week decided to try and find out their value the one that really has me puzzled is a 1895 Morgan Dollar with no mint mark I have attached 2 scans... When I try and do research this it I believe it to be a Philadelphia 1895 silver dollar but all the pages I read say this doesnt exist so must be a fake?? It is definately silver and doesnt look like the mint mark has been removed, I emailed 2 coin auction houses earlier this afternoon but had no reply as yet, has anyone any idea if this does look real or any help appreciated many thanks
Hi, Nigel!

I am not a professional coin authenticator, but given my nearly 25 years of experience in the numismatic arena, I have reason to believe this piece may be counterfeit or altered due to several diagnostic concerns. The appearance of the date and certain elements of the design look off for the issue. I think the surface also looks rather unusual for a circulated Morgan dollar. These are things that could be better inspected in-hand by an individual who can weigh the coin, look at it from different angles, and apply a good degree of sight-seen evaluation. Perhaps the piece will check out as authentic, but I do want to give you the heads up that, given what I see, this coin is at best altered and possibly a complete replica.

All my best,
Josh
Really appreciate that Josh the date does look unaltered attached an better image of date, what I find strange Josh is the other morgan dollars that were with it look and feel the same as this one ... I tested it yesterday and its definately silver and these are scans so does look different again in the light of day.... If anything I have learnt quite alot about silver dollars mint marks etc ... again thanks Josh
Attachments (1)
Hello, Nigel --

The shape, size, and font of the date digits still don't appear like they usually should on an 1895 Morgan dollar, based on what I'm seeing in the photo submitted in your previous comment. I've attached a photo of a known-authentic 1895 Morgan dollar for comparison. The differences may look minute, but nevertheless are there. You might also verify the authenticity of the coin through a weight check. An 1895 Morgan dollar should weigh approximately 26.73 grams. Anything significantly more or less (say, 10 or 20 one-hundredths of a gram) may indicate the coin is a replica.

I hope this coin does check out as authentic,
Josh
Just found a set of digital scales and it weighs 24 grams but then weighed again and it said 23 scales are a bit dodgy, but looks like you were right Josh... thing is what do you do with a fake? what a real shame ... well Josh really appreciate your help thanks Nigel
Hello, Nigel --

I'm sorry to hear about the weight results, but it is good you found out now rather than after having spent upwards of $30 or more for certification services and what not. Most often, the best thing to do with a replica coin is either keep it if it has family sentimental value to you in some way, or perhaps try selling it to a coin dealer or coin certification company that would like to use the coin as a counterfeit example.

At any rate, I wish you all the best and hope to help with your coin questions again sometime.

Take care,
Josh
There are no replies made for this post yet.