1911 Indian Head $5 Half Eagle

1911 Indian Head $5 Half Eagle
1911 Indian Head $5 Half Eagle Value

Coin Info

Melt Value
$434.94
Country
United States
Type
Gold Coin
Metal Content
0.24187 t oz
Face Value
$5 USD
Mintage
2,403,639

1911 Indian Head half eagles are fairly common in respect to pre-1934 United States gold coinage and are relatively easy to find at most coin dealers who handle that type of material. Indian Head half eagles are loved not just by numismatists, but also bullion investors, who are especially fond of common dates like the 1911 $5 gold coins; the exception, of course, is the proof 1911 half eagle, which is a rare coin by virtually any measure.

Bullion investors will find the 90 percent gold composition (the other 10 percent is copper – standard for most pre-1934 U.S. gold coinage) to be attractive, as also is the coin’s 21.6-millimeter diameter, which is convenient for storing but also large enough to have some heft. In fact, Indian Head half eagles weigh 8.359 grams and are about as wide as a modern-day nickel.

Here’s a breakdown of mintages and values for 1911 Indian Head half eagles:

  • 1911; 915,000 minted, $475

  • 1911-D; 72,500; $625

  • 1911-S; 1,416,000, $520

  • 1911 proof; 139, $8,750

*Prices are for coins grading Very Fine-30, unless otherwise noted.

Indian Head half eagles, along with Indian Head $2.50 quarter eagles, remain the only two U.S. coins to feature an incuse design, meaning that the devices are cut into the coin rather than stand proud to the surface.

Other Years From This Coin Series


Comments (0)

There are no comments posted here yet